With my recent Cheese Scone Recipe conjuring up such success, I decided it’s time to let a few more scones out of the bag.? This time sweet and fruity with just a little sugar.
This wholemeal scone recipe with chocolate and raisin are an all-round hit.
What can be more enjoyable than an afternoon tea with a side of scone, well? if you are from the UK, not much!? However, I enjoy them for breakfast with a lovely cup of coffee and butter on top.
The mixture should only ?just? hold together. Over mixing will result in hard and flat scones which could be mistaken for a random field boulder of you are not careful?. Not desirable!
This is the only wholemeal scone recipe you will need.
But if you like the plain original…try my easy plain scone recipe
Wholemeal Scone Recipe
Wholemeal Scone Recipe with Chocolate and Raisins
- 200 grams whole grain flour
- 200 grams self-raising flour
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 grams of butter the colder, the better
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 150 ml milk
- 100 ml water
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celcius
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (whole grain flour, self-raising flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder)
- Chop the butter into small chunks and rub together with the dry ingredients until like breadcrumbs
- Combine the chocolate chips and raisins with the mixture then add the milk and water
- Mix very gently with a metal spoon and stop as soon as the mixture is combined (over mixing will result in flat hard scones)
- Gently press the mixture together and tip out onto a lightly floured surface (it should look like it could fall apart quite easily)
- Shape into a large rectangle around an inch and a half thick (4cm approximately)
- And cut into 12 rectangles.
- Grease a large baking tray and transfer all of the scones onto it
- Brush each scone with a generous topping of egg, then bake for 15 minutes, checking they are not burning on top
- Remove from the oven when ready and cool for at least 10 minutes before enjoying with lashings of butter.
Now you have the recipe, now all you need is some essential kitchen gadgets to make the perfect scones.