I don’t use this statement lightly but it literally is the best fish pie recipe ever, well in my families opinion anyway 🙂 It counts right?
I love its versatility, any fish you like, you can throw in here. Play around with various fresh or dry herbs and spices too.
The great thing about this casserole-style dinner is that you can refrigerate once the pie is made and then heat up in the oven when ready to eat.
Another tasty option is to grate some Parmesan or extra mature cheddar on top before placing it in the oven.
And so are these dishes too:
And, if you are a Seafood lover, check out one of my favourite blogs
The Best Fish Pie Recipe
The Best Fish Pie Recipe, EVER!
- 6-8 large potatoes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- water enough to cover potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon rashers
- 2 cups fish (frozen or fresh with bones and skin removed) haddock, salmon, and bass all work well
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup extra mature cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/4 cup extra mature cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- Peel and cut the potatoes into chunks
- Place in a large sauce pan with the salt and cover with water
- Boil for 15 minutes and then add the eggs on top and boil for a further 10 minutes
- Meanwhile set a frying pan over medium heat and add the chopped bacon and cook for 5 minutes until browning
- Add half of the butter and the fish to the pan and allow to cook through for approximately 8 minutes stirring gently
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked fish and pour the milk over, along with the cinnamon, parsley, paprika, and cheese then combine gently and simmer for 2 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken
- Add the peas and cook for a further 2 minutes then remove from the heat
- Drain potatoes and eggs and remove the shells from the eggs and cut into halves
- Add the remainder of the butter to the potatoes and mash thoroughly, add a little milk if they are too thick
- Add the fish mixture to the bottom of a large casserole dish
- Add the halved eggs on top then spoon the mashed potatoe on top evenly
- Spread over with a knife or spatula to smooth the surface of the pie
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees Celcius for 20 minutes until the top turns golden
- Serve with some freshly steamed vegetables