Welcome to the best chicken gravy recipe. Okay, I don't use the "best" word lightly, but when you try it, you will know exactly what I mean. In fact, I'm a little embarrassed to say it's so good my hubby drank the leftovers...
Anyway, please use your initiative to adjust the water and flour quantities as I'm pretty sure every chicken will produce differing amounts of juices. And, each to their own on how thick you like it. So, play around.
You can also adjust the flavors to mach your mood, i like to add things like lemon juice for a lighter more fragrant dish or even some chipotle for a winter warming dinner.
You can use fresh herbs if you like, however, this is 1 recipe where I actually prefer the dried versions.
The second best chicken gravy recipe:
If you want a delicious gravy without cooking a whole chicken to get it. Take a look at my KFC copycat gravy. It's a winner every time!
How to make the Best Chicken Gravy
- Chicken juices from roasting pan
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosmary
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 fennel seeds
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Using a tray with a wire tray on top (to lay the chicken on)
- In the tray combine the water, thyme, rosemary, fennel seeds, bay leaf, chili flakes and stock cubes then stir until they are dissolved
- Lay the wire tray on top and place the chicken on top and cook as normal
- When you remove the chicken from the oven the tray with your gravy mixture should have all of the chicken drippings in it too
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium heat and then quickly stir in the flour until smooth
- Pour the liquid from the roasting tray into the pan and stir for a few minutes until thickened
- Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve immegiately