Thai Tom Kha Gai is one of the less popular Thai Soups, but, it definitely should not be this way. Creamy coconut and lots of ginger, make it full of flavor, warming and incredibly moreish.
This is one of my kids favorite dishes so suitable for the whole family – just remember to adjust the chili accordingly or use a very mild option like Poblano or Paprika peppers.
*Sponsored post* Thank you to Tropical Sun for sponsoring this post. Creamed coconut is my absolute favorite cooking ingredient and is so versatile.
Check out my Banana Coconut Spiced Smoothie Recipe.
Thai Tom Kha Gai – Chicken Coconut Soup
- 200 g Tropical Sun Creamed Coconut
- 700 ml water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 stalk of Lemongrass
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 hot red chilli peppers (or mild if you are a wimp)
- 1 bunch of spring onions (scallions)
- 4 limes
- 1 small bunch or coriander (cilantro)
- In a soup pot, combine the creamed coconut, water and stock cubes, then heat on a low heat until the stock cubes and coconut have dissolved
- Turn up the heat to high, add the lemongrass, ginger, and cubed chicken breast and cook for 5 minutes
- Finely chop the chilies and the spring onions
- Reduce the heat to medium then add the mushrooms, half the chopped chilies and all of the spring onions
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes then remove the lemongrass
- Serve in bowls with chunks of lime and finely chopped coriander and remaining chili on top