Any Indian food takes me back to my childhood. Every weekend we would choose between an Indian or Chinese takeaway restaurant. My mum and I definitely always prefered Indian food. If you have ever eaten Indian food in Scotland I’m sure you will understand why. It somehow seems to be better than anywhere else.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this? It seems, everywhere else I’ve been in the world the Indian food just isn’t as good as in Scotland.
Anyway, let’s get back to the recipe. Indian food often gets a bad reputation as being healthy. But, in fact, this couldn’t be further from the truth. If you cut back on the rice and naan bread then it’s actually pretty good. I guess this comes from the old fashioned advise that fat is bad for you.
The main health benefits of this Tandoori Spiced Salmon:
- Super Salmon – obviously I’m going to start with this powerhouse. It contains fat which will actually help you burn fat and it’s high protein levels make it the perfect option. Especially if you are trying to lose weight.
- Spices – This dish is literally swimming in spices (no pun intended ;-). Without going into each individual spice I can tell you that they all promote good health. They get the blood flowing, boost immunity and some are powerful anti-inflammatories. So don’t hold back on the spice!
On the subject of spice, how many spices do you keep in your house? I can’t believe I can go to my gran’s house. A woman who cooks a homemade meal every day of her life and there are no spices… not even a whiff of a garlic clove. I couldn’t survive one day without my spice collection. It is vast!
Anyway, if you have a tandoor oven, lucky you! I’m jealous. The salmon will turn out perfect in around 8 minutes. However, under the grill will be bloomin tasty too. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know in the comments.
Or, have your say on Facebook by liking our page and get daily recipes as they are released. I look forward to connecting with you.
Tandoori Spiced Salmon
- 4 salmon breasts
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground peppercorns
- 1 lemon
- 5 drops Tobasco sauce
- 2 tbsp plain natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ground mace powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pinch saffron
- Place the salmon on a glass dish or ceramic plate (non-metallic)
- Zest the lemon over the salmon then squeeze over the lemon juice and sprinkle the salt and pepper on top
- Add the Tobasco sauce and massage the salmon gently with your fingers to incorporate the flavours
- Combine the plain natural yoghurt, the ginger and garlic paste, the mace, cardamom and saffron in a small bowl and coat the salmon with the marinade
- Cover with clingfilm and leave in the refrigerator overnight to marinate
- When ready to eat, grill the salmon under a high heat for 10-12 minutes. If you have a tandoor oven, cut the salmon into chunks and place in a skewer and cook for 8 minutes
- Always check that the fish is cooked through before serving.
- Serve with some lemon wedges and some crisp fresh salad
For the perfect pairing with this tandoori spiced salmon, you need to head over to my spiced onion recipe… it’s a firm favourite here on I Cook The World.