Ever since I was a child this was my favourite treat, I knew, when I suffered from onset diabetes I had to find a way to still have it in my life and so sugar free banana bread was born.
Finding natural ways to add sweetness to things has been the main reason I was able to reverse the illness. Though I still have to eat them with caution – Dates have a multitude of other health benefits too. Much more beneficial to your health than a normal slice of cake, which can be loaded with sugar.
Health benefits of using Dates as a sugar replacement in the sugar free banana bread:
- Dates are very high in fibre which is good news if you want to lose weight, are constipated or need to improve gut health.
- They have been proven to help improve cholesterol levels which in turn can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- They can help balance blood sugar levels, this works well in my experience. Especially if you replace sugary snacks with 1 or 2 dates.
- It’s thought they can improve brain health too… who doesn’t need some of that?
So overall a great alternative to a quite sugary treat.
I hope you enjoy the sugar free banana bread as much as my whole family do! You can also try it toasted with some butter for a very special treat… Your welcome!
Sugar Free Banana Bread
- bread tin
- 2 large bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup of your favorite nuts (optional - but walnuts are delicious in this recipe)
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C (330°F)
- Peel and mash the bananas with a fork and add to a mixer
- Add date paste and coconut oil and date paste to the mixer and set to a medium speed
- Beet eggs and add to the mixer slowly allowing to combine well with each addition
- Turn up the speed until the mixture becomes lighter (approximately 5 minutes)
- Remove from the mixer and add all of the remaining ingredients
- Fold with a spoon until well combined
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf tin
- Bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 55 minutes (DO NOT check before 45 minutes) or when a fork comes out clean when inserted to the centre of the sugar free banana loaf
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool further... if you can resist
If you love a sweet treat without the guilt of sugar, check out these:
Follow us on Facebook to get the fastest access to every new recipe and article.