Garlic Roast Chicken with Lemon and Thyme seems like a real treat when you are on a low sugar diet. And, if you are not for that matter.
This recipe is a tangy, salty, and crisp taste experience. And, if you are anything like me you will have the crispy skin whipped off before the tray even reaches the kitchen table.
Now, let’s have a look into some of the health benefits of this Garlic Roast Chicken with Lemon and Thyme:
- Chicken is a great high protein food source which is readily available and generally low cost compared to other proteins which makes it a great option at any time.
- Chicken contains good quantities of selenium which can help boost the metabolism. So chicken is a great option if you are looking to shift some excess weight.
- The phosphorus in chicken help maintain good liver and kidney function as well as promoting strong teeth and bones.
- Don’t worry about the salt content – salt is essential and beneficial as long as consumed sensibly. However, please never use table salt, it is NOT real salt and is not good for the body at all.
- I’m sure you know there is a long list of health benefits associated with Lemons. Some of which are: boosting weight loss; enhancing your immunities; and helps with the prevention of kidney stones.
- Garlic – eat it by the bucket load! It improves cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease amongst another billion health benefits.
- Thyme is not commonly mentioned as food with lots of health benefits but like most herbs, it does. Thyme can soothe sore throats, coughs and colds. It also helps treat respiratory issues as well as being extremely high in anti-bacterial properties.
So, if you don’t have enough reason to get the oven on, why not check out my amazing Granny’s Cold Curing Chicken Soup – It’s even nutritious than the chicken and you can read about the massive benefits of bone broth.
One more word of advice before you go and enjoy your chicken:
Please don’t remove the skin, fat is not the enemy!
Check out this great article – 6 reasons chicken is good for you
I hope you love the recipe, it is delicious! One of my favorites, please leave a comment if you give it a try 🙂
Traditional Chicken Roast with Lemon, Thyme, and Garlic packs a punch of flavor. Serve with a little sweet potato and plenty of vegetables
Pre-heat the oven to 170C and find a large deep baking tray
Place the chicken in the baking tray and rub the olive oil all over the skin with the salt
Peel the garlic and place a few cloves under the chicken skin, 2 inside the cavity, and the rest scattered on the baking tray
Cut the lemons in half and squeeze some juice on the baking tray then place 2 halves inside the chicken cavity and the other 2 on the baking tray
Sprinkle the juniper berries and the fennel over the chicken or in the tray
Melt the stock cube in the boiling water and pour into the baking tray with the whole chicken. Be careful not to wash the oil of the chicken!
Add the Thyme sprigs onto and around the chicken
Cover the baking tray with tin foil and place in the preheated oven for 1 hour
Carefully remove the chicken from the oven and turn the heat up as high as it will go then cook until golden brown and crispy skinned (approx 30 minutes)
Remove from the oven and carve when cool enough