Japanese is my preferred cuisine and Donburi is my absolute favourite dish so it had to be the first recipe for the new site. Donburi literally means “bowl” so this rice dish is served in large bowls as the name suggests. This is a delicious way to serve your preferred meat with vegetables but with a Japanese twist.
I love to add a lot of chilli at the end; however, this is totally optional and depends on your taste.
On a recent visit to our local Japanese restaurant, I spotted that they now serve Duck Donburi, which I only noticed after ordering. Needless to say, I will be ordering that on our next visit, any excuse to return.
For this recipe, I have used skirt steak, but you can use any cut of beef, also chicken and prawns work as well. So choose as you please.
Donburi – Easy Japanese Rice Bowl
2 steaks (fat removed)
2 tbsp. Teriyaki Sauce
1 cup Sushi Rice
3 tsp. rice vinegar
1 large carrot
50g pea shoots
Drizzle chilli oil (according to taste)
Drizzle of soy sauce (according to taste)
Pinch dried chilli flakes
30g miso paste (optional)
- Marinade the steaks in the teriyaki sauce for at least two hours
- Boil 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes
- Add rice vinegar 5 minutes from the end of cooking time, turn off heat and cover pan without stirring to create sticky rice.
- Place a frying pan on high heat and fry steak for 3 minutes each side, rest for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Spiralize of finely slice carrot
- Divide rice into 2 bowls
- Place pea shoots and carrot in each bowl
- Slice steak into strips and place on top
- Drizzle with chilli oil and soy sauce to suit your taste
- Top off with a pinch of chilli flakes
Tip: To add extra flavour and moisture, add a splash of miso soup, to do this mix a tbsp. of miso paste in a small cup of boiling water and pour over your completed dish.
Have a look at the Spiralizer I used to create this recipe, so easy to use with magnificent results.
If you love a rice dish, why not check out my Paella Recipe
[amazon_link asins=’1939130379,1580085199,B00L781SNM,1681881772,B00OP1H1XO,1607743523,1568363931′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’icooktheworld-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’fa480068-81f6-11e7-892b-87a2d805b889′]