Yep, this really is the soup my gran used to make me when I was poorly as a child and I do exactly the same for my family now. Everyone loves it, though my husband does spit the dummy if it doesn’t come with crusty bread… Who can blame him!
For this to be the actual cold curing soup the title suggests, you need to boil the carcass exactly as described in the instructions. This releases a chemical from the bones which is scientifically proven to relieve cold and flu symptoms. And you thought there was no cure.
This is also a great balanced meal to enjoy if you are following a diet of any description, I eat it often for my lunch when trying to lose weight. Just remember no bread and butter though!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.
If like me, you are a sucker for soup, try these:
Brazilian Prawn Soup
Warming the soul kinda food, my granny's original and easy Chicken and Rice Soup recipe is hard to beat. Always making you feel better when poorly.
- 1 cooked chicken you can use the breasts for another meal
- 2 litres water
- 4 large carrots
- 2 large onions
- 1 cup wild rice any rice will do
- 1 large bunch parsley
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large soup pot bring to the boil approximately 2 litres of water
- Remove the skin and some of the flesh from the chicken (you can use this for another meal)
- Put the remainder of the chicken carcass carefully into the boiling water with the salt and pepper and boil for 45 minutes
- Strain the stock and put it back in the pot having removed all of the chicken and bones
- Clean, peel and cut the carrot and onion into small chunks and add them and the rice to the stock pot on a low boil
- Carefully remove all of the chicken from the bones and place back in the soup pot
- Finely chop the parsley and add to the soup, cooking until the rice is tender
- Serve with some crispy bread and butter