Whenever you think of scones, it is likely that you think of something sweet or dessert-like. These scones are completely different from traditional recipes, but that is why we love them. Who wouldn’t want to combine a scone with delicious potatoes? Plus, they can even be made the night before and refrigerated until the next morning.
This is a traditional Scottish dish that can be served with breakfast. They have a crisp and golden outside while still being soft and fluffy in the middle. It is the mashed potatoes inside the scones that are responsible for that lovely texture. It is the perfect accompaniment to your favorite morning meal as a great spin in a typical potato side dish. Plus, they make a great snack with tea.
They are incredibly easy to make, and you likely have all of these ingredients on hand already. In under 30 minutes, you can have these delicious potato scones ready to go, and trust me when I say they are melt in your mouth good. They will quickly become a family go-to recipe!
Check out the other Scone Recipes around here:
Potato Scones Recipe
Scottish Potato Scones
- non-stick skillet
- 1 lb baking potatoes peeled, boiled, and mashed
- 5 tbsp butter softened
- 125 grams flour sifted
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place mashed potatoes in a large bowl and set aside
- Add 4 tbsp butter and salt just until combined
- Whisk egg and add to the potato mixture
- Add sifted flour and baking powder to the potatoes, and mix until a sticky dough forms
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/2 inch thick
- Heat a skillet on the stove top to medium high heat
- Cut the dough into 4 even triangle portions
- Add remaining 1 tbsp butter to the hot skillet
- Add the scones to the skillet and fry each side until golden, about 2-3 minutes
- Serve warm and enjoy