I needed to find a way to reduce the sugar in our beloved spiced onions recipe. This no added sugar Mango Chutney Sauce was the best place to begin.
Of course, we still have a lot of naturally occurring fruit sugars in the Mango Chutney. So, keep consumption to a minimum, especially if you are diabetic. It makes sense to enjoy a high-fat meal with fewer carbohydrates. So, cut back on the popodoms and naan bread.
However, on the bright side. Here are some reasons you should enjoy this recipe:
- Mangoes – are high in antioxidants and are thought to be beneficial to eye health as well as doing wonders for the hair and skin. As always the fresh fruit is always the best way to gain the most vitamins. But, you still gain most of the nutrients using this recipe. And, one more thing… Never ever juice them! Unless you like drinking a big glass of sugar of course.
- Dates – are very underrated. Yes, they contain sugar, however, they actually help encourage a healthy microbiome (basically our gut health). As well as protecting our brains against aging. They are a great way to curb that sweet tooth and banish those cravings when you first come off sugar. Check out my Energy Balls – they were my lifesavers when I stopped the old sweet stuff!
Overall you can enjoy this no added sugar mango chutney sauce with no added guilt.
Enjoy it with some of my other Indian Recipes:
I hope you love it!
- 4 mangoes
- 6 dates
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- Peel and de-stone the mangoes
- Cut the flesh into chunks
- De-stone the dates and cut into small slices
- Add all of the ingredients into a heavy bottomed pan
- Cook over a low heat for 1 hour
- Place in some sterile jar and use within 4 weeks
Check out the Spiced onion Recipe now for a great way to use up this Mango Chutney Sauce.
Join us on Facebook for all of my recipes as soon as I write them and to join in the conversation. See you there 🙂, or leave a comment below.