If you enjoy juicy, flavorful chicken with crisp skin, then you are in the right place. This is a copycat recipe from the restaurant Nando’s which is so well known around the UK, with several locations in England, Scotland, Ireland, and others. They are extremely popular and are well known for their signature peri-peri sauce.
I have a recipe here for the sauce if you would like to make it yourself. It is the perfect balance of spice and tang. If you would like to purchase a bottle of Nando’s peri-peri sauce, you can. I enjoy making it myself so I have complete control over the level of heat.
How to Butterfly Chicken
Here are the simple steps so you can properly butterfly your chicken breast.
- Make sure you have a sharp knife and cut horizontally into the chicken breast.
- Stop once you are about half an inch from slicing all the way through.
- Open it up and lay it flat, then use a meat tenderizer to flatten it out for even cooking.
It really is just that simple! After you do this, you can just follow the recipes below for seasoning and cooking!
Nando’s Butterfly Chicken
- meat tenderizer
- grill pan or bbq grill
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- peri peri sauce (you can find the link to the recipe above)
- Cut the chicken breast in half length wise, but not all the way through, leave about half an inch
- Use the meat tenderizer to pound the chicken flat
- Cover chicken generously with the peri peri sauce marinade
- Heat your grill pan to medium high heat
- Brush with olive oil so the chicken doesn't stick
- Cook about 5-7 minutes per side and check for those beuatiful grill marks
- Let rest for 8-10 minutes
- For even more flavor, feel free to prepare and marinate the chicken in the peri-peri sauce for a few hours before cooking, or even overnight in the refrigerator.
- Instead of an outside grill or grill pan, you can use a nonstick skillet to cook the chicken as well.
- The possibility of sides you can prepare is endless. Rice is usually the most popular.