Three Bean Salad Recipe’s are thought to originate in Mexico but are consumed in many different styles all over the world.
Greek-style bean salad with Tuna and feta is one of my favorites. Indian spiced bean salads work very well too. But my top bean salad is this one with lots of herbs and lemon juice, it makes the perfect bbq accompaniment or does a pretty darn good job of a stand-alone meal or packed lunch.
I like to soak my own beans and cook them but tinned or jarred work equally well.
If you want to use dried beans, add a half cup of each bean of choice to a large bowl and fill the bowl to the top with water. Be warned, the beans will soak up that water and multiply to about 4 times the original volume so use a big bowl. Soak overnight in the refrigerator and then add some salt and boil for 30-40 minutes or until soft.
Allow to cool then you will be ready to make this tasty salad…
What kind of beans should go into this Three Bean Salad?
These are some of my favorite beans period. But, choosing any three from this list will give you a great salad. They are all high in fiber, a great source of protein and super good for our heart health.
The addition of Capers make the salad for me but if you don’t like them feel free to omit. Also, you might like to add some chopped pepper or cucumber if that’s your thang!
Oh, and one more thing before you run to the kitchen, you might want to check out these other irresistible bean recipes:
Three Bean Salad Recipe
3 Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup kidney beans
- 1/2 cup black eyed beans
- 1/2 cup red beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- If you wish to use dried beans prepare them the night before and soak over night then cook and cool before you begin
- Peel and chop onion as finely as possible
- Finely chop the parsley and mint
- Drain the capers and cut into smaller pieces
- Combine the dressing ingredients altogether in one bowl large enough to accomodate the beans too
3 Bean Salad
- Finally combine all of the ingredients in the dressing bowl and toss with some spoons to ensure mixed thoroughly
- Serve immediately or chill for a couple of hours when ready to eat
Join me on Facebook to share your recipes and be the first to see my new posts!