Today we are going to look at how to make the best cheese scones that I have come across.
Delicious and cheesy, crumbly on the outside and soft with a little chew on the inside. The perfect mid-afternoon treat, with tea of course.
If you come from or have visited the UK you probably know what a scone is. If you are from America or other parts then maybe not. The only thing I can think to compare them to is a breakfast biscuit in the US. Usually they would be sweeter and served with butter and Jam.
However, on this occasion, we are speaking of the salty, cheesy alternative which is perfect served with chilli jam or chutney alike.
If you love to prepare food in batches, these scones are a great candidate for freezing before baking. Simply place on a tray and cover with clingfilm until ready to cook, then cook from frozen adding another 7 minutes to the cooking time.
If you love cheese in your life check out some of my other cheesy recipes:
How to make the best cheese scones
How To Make The Best Cheese Scones
- 225 self raising flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 75 g butter
- 110 g mature cheese
- 75 ml milk
- 50 ml water
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celcius
- Mix together flour, salt, paprika, and ground pepper in a large bowl until well combined.
- Cube the butter and add to the bowl.
- Rub until you reach a bread crumb consistency (you can use a food processor but I prefer by hand to avoid over mixing).
- Grate the cheddar cheese using the finest side of the grater
- Add half of the cheese to the scone mixture
- Combine the milk and water together, then add to the scone mixture
- Be careful not to over mix at this stage
- Combine until a dough is formed
- Flour your surface and tip the dough onto it
- I like triangular scones so create a 4cm thick rectangle and cut 6 triangle shapes from it
- Beat the egg and generously coat the top of each scone
- Scatter over the remainder of the cheese and place it on a baking tray
- Bake for 16-18 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving
- Enjoy with butter and my personal favorite - chili jam