Yep, this really is the soup my gran used to make me when I was poorly as a child and I do exactly the same for my family now.? Everyone loves it, though my husband does spit the dummy if it doesn?t come with crusty bread? Who can blame him!
For this to be the actual cold curing soup the title suggests, you need to boil the carcass exactly as described in the instructions. This releases a chemical from the bones which is scientifically proven to relieve cold and flu symptoms. And you thought there was no cure.
This is also a great balanced meal to enjoy if you are following a diet of any description, I eat it often for my lunch when trying to lose weight. Just remember no bread and butter though!
I hope you enjoy this chicken and rice soup recipe as much as we all do.
If like me, you are a sucker for soup, try some of my other soup recipes:
Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- In a large soup pot bring to the boil approximately 2 litres of water
- Remove the skin and some of the flesh from the chicken (you can use this for another meal)
- Put the remainder of the chicken carcass carefully into the boiling water with the salt and pepper and boil for 45 minutes
- Strain the stock and put it back in the pot having removed all of the chicken and bones
- Clean, peel and cut the carrot and onion into small chunks and add them and the rice to the stock pot on a low boil
- Carefully remove all of the chicken from the bones and place back in the soup pot
- Finely chop the parsley and add to the soup, cooking until the rice is tender
- Serve with some crispy bread and butter