Picture it, im stood in the kitchen 3 seconds away from throwing out some Parsnips I’d bought in bulk a few days ago. Then I suddenly think, wait a minute, I have nothing for dinner…
Oh, I know! Easy Roasted Parsnip soup.
I was not expecting the most delicious dinner I had in a long time to be the result of this situation. It is totally delicious and I urge anyone who loves parsnip to take this recipe I created to use up old veg and turn it into the star of the show. It would make the best Christmas day starter!
This recipe had a little spice but you could of course tone it down a little for any chilli haters (not my firends)!
Let me just add, on this same day I had some old muffins in the cupboard which only added to the amazingness of this recipe… Parsnip Soup with toasted muffins and scrummy melted butter.
Wow this was a happy happy day for me!
Easy Roasted Parsnip Soup Recipe with Bacon Bits and a Kick
- 6-8 Large Parsnips
- 1 large carrot
- 4 potatoes
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 onions
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 5 cups water
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/390F
- Scrub clean the parsnips, carrot, and potatoes, cut into large chunks and place on a large baking tray
- Combine the honey, oil, cayenne, and pepper in a small dish and drizzle over the vegetables, sprinkle over the salt and bake for 40 minutes
- Meanwhile, place a large soup pot over a medium heat and melt the butter
- Peel and roughly dice the onion and add to the melted butter and saute until translucent
- Crush the stock cubes and add to the onions and combine, then quickly add the water and stir until dissolved
- Add the roasted vegetables to the soup pot and simmer on a low heat for 10-15 minutes
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan until brown then allow to cool on some kitchen paper to drain off any excess fat
- Take the soup off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before adding the milk
- Blend the soup until smooth with a hand/immersion blender, adding a little water to achieve the desired consistency
- Cut the bacon into small chunks and stir into the soup
- Put back on a low heat until piping hot, then serve
Please, as always send me a picture of Easy Roasted Parsnip Soup or any other I Cook The World Recipes you try, I love to see your results!!!
Have you every thought about starting your own food blog? Check out The Truth About Starting A Food Blog
If you love a spicy parsnip