It’s a classic of the cake world and when there are fresh Lemons on the trees there is no better way to use them up than a delicious and easy Lemon Drizzle Cake.
Of course, you can buy Lemons from the store too but nothing quite feels the same as cooking with stuff from the garden. It feels like a real treat. So fresh and flavorful.
You can also use oranges for a less zingy and more sweet cake option. And, if you love something totally different try Jalapeno Lemon Drizzle Cake over on Pepperscale.com.
Easy Lemon Drizzle Cake Rules:
The key to a great sponge cake is incorporating as much air into the butter, sugar, and eggs in the early stages. It is also very important to fold the flour in only until it is combined into the mixture. Overworking the mixture in the final stage will knock the air out and the sponge is likely to sink and become hard.
Easy Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 200 grams butter
- 200 grams sugar
- 1 large lemon
- 3 eggs
- 200 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- juice from the lemons above
- Preheat oven to 180c / 350f
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer or by hand if you wish
- Grate the Lemon Zest into the mixture
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl
- Add very gradually to the creamed butter and sugar whisking in between to keep the mixture fluffy
- Add the flour and baking powder to mixture and very gently fold the mixture until incorporated
- Pour the cake batter into a greased loaf tin and bake in the center of the oven for around 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the centre clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack
- Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl and squeeze the juice from the lemon into it
- Stir to form a glaze
- Use a fork to prick the top of the cake repeatedly to allow the drizzle to sink into the cake
- Pour over half the glaze and alow to set for a few minutes then drizzle the remainder over the cake
- Allow to set before slicing and enjoying
Follow us on Facebook for all of our yummy recipes as soon as they are posted 🙂
If you love this easy lemon drizzle cake or pretty much anything sweet, try some of my other recipes: