I don't think I've ever met a person who doesn't enjoy a good old Chinese Takeaway Chicken Curry. Now you can save money and also make a healthier version at home.
Not only will you enjoy a tasty fresh curry but, you can also prepare this dish quicker than you could get to the local takeaway and back.
If you wish to be extra healthy, double up on the peas and onions and you can even serve with some cauliflower rice and therefore reduce the carb count substantially.
Chinese Takeaway Chicken Curry for Hot Heads:
Feel free to add some chili for extra spice and if you love a strong curry use hot curry powder and add an extra teaspoon too if you desire.
All it takes is 5 simple steps:
- Marinade the chicken
- Fry the chicken
- Mix the curry spices
It really is that simple. And, considering a take away will cost around 5-10 dollars per person. You can make the curry for the whole family for the same price as 1 serving from the takeaway shop and so save money too.
Chinese Takeaway Chicken Curry
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder You can choose the heat level
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 cup peas
- Cut the chicken into cubes and place into a glass bowl
- Mix the Chinese 5 spice powder with the chicken so it coats it all lightly and set aside until ready to cook the curry
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil
- Cook chicken for 5 minutes stiring occassionaly to stop sticking
- Chop onions and girlic and add to the pan and stir until translucent reduce heat to low
- In a cup or small dish crush the stock cube and combine with curry powder, flour and ginger
- Boil ket kettle and use a splash of water to make a smooth paste with the curry powder mixture keep stiringand top the water up to the top of the cup
- Add the curry mixture to the cooked chicken and stir well
- Cook for a few minutes until the curry sauce thickens
- Add soy sauce and peas to the curry and cook for 2 minutes until the peas are cooked
- Add some extra water if you want the sauce to be of a thinner consistancy
- Serve with some boiled rice
Join me on Facebook for all of my latest recipes as well as cooking and nutrition tips.