This is such a classic and comforting dish. I remember looking forward to having this on a cold winter day at home with my parents. Nothing beats the crisp, creamy, and savoury chicken and veggie pie.
One of my favourite things about this recipe is its versatility. You can really do no wrong with the vegetables you choose to use, and you can even switch up the protein as well to put your own unique spin on it. You don’t have to be a professional chef to pull of a good chicken and veggie pie.
Below is the basic recipe that I like to use, along with some tips if you are wanting additions or substitutions. It takes some time to make but the end result is worth the hard work!
Chicken lover are you? Check out some of these bad boys:
Chicken and Veggie Pie Recipe
- dutch oven
- pie pan
- basting brush
- 3 cups boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/4 cup peas frozen
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme dry or fresh
- 1 tsp rosemary dry or fresh
- 1/2 tsp sage dry or fresh
- 1 box prepared pie crust
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius
- Preheat your dutch oven to medium heat.
- Add butter and melt.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook until just soft.
- Add salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and sage. Stir to combine.
- Stir in remaining butter.
- Spoon in flour and whisk until incorporated. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and whisk. Let cook and thicken.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, and frozen peas then stir.
- Place one of the pie crusts into the pie pan and press the edges into the rim of the pan.
- Pour in the filling.
- Place the second pie crust on top and pinch closed.
- Brush the egg on the top of the crust.
- Bake the pie for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Follow us on Facebook to find all of your new recipes when they are released.