Brazilian Prawn Soup
This prawn soup is a very special recipe to me as it is one of my husband’s favourite dishes. So when we recently celebrated the completion of our new home in Portugal this was on the menu for our celebratory. Along with a freshly prepared lobster, it was the perfect meal.
One of the main reasons we decided to relocate to Portugal was because of the vast abundance of amazing seafood, fresh fruit and local produce, all readily available for me to use in my future recipes. I cannot wait to share some traditional Portuguese recipes with you soon.
However, for now, we are going Brazilian with this prawn soup, creamy and garlicky but also full of vegetables for an extra burst of goodness.
Serve this with some freshly baked crusty bread as a light lunch along with a glass of crisp white wine, I cannot think of a better combination.
Brazilian Prawn Soup – Creamy Seafood Soup
500 g/18 oz raw prawns
30 g/1 oz butter
2 garlic cloves
1 stick of celery
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp Paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
100 ml/3.5 fl oz white wine
70 g/2.5 oz button mushrooms
200 ml/7 fl oz double cream
Small handful of parsley
Salt to taste
1 fresh red chilli (optional)
- Remove prawns from the shells and place the empty shells in a large pan, this will create the prawn soup stock
- Cover with water and bring to the boil, boil for 30 minutes then strain through a sieve and retain the stock in a bowl for later
- Remove the veins from the prawns with a small sharp knife and refrigerate until required
- In a large pan melt the butter over a medium heat
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and celery, grate the carrot and add them all to the melted butter. Saute for 10 minutes stirring constantly to avoid the ingredients sticking to the pan
- Stir in the cayenne pepper, paprika and black pepper, add the white wine and simmer on a low heat until reduced
- Slice the button mushrooms as finely as possible and add to the soup. Turn the heat up to high and add the prawns, stirring gently for three minutes. Add the stock and reduce the heat until simmering then remove from heat
- Stir in the cream and chopped parsley and serve with finely chopped chilli sprinkled on top if preferred
I hope you enjoy this Brazilian Prawn Soup and that you check out some of our other recipes and subscribe to our list to ensure you receive all new recipes when they are added and also why not follow us on Twitter or Facebook to see all the daily posts